UW-Madison is committed to providing excellent mentoring or guidance to all assistant professors. By policy (link to FPP), the departmental executive committee is required to establish procedures for guidance, annual evaluation, and tenure evaluation. A copy of the procedures must be given to each assistant professor at the time of hire.
The structure of a mentoring committee varies by department/division, but must include at least one member of the departmental executive committee. The mentoring committee provides advice on teaching, research, and outreach/service through the tenure process.
Requirements for mentoring and evaluation found within Faculty Policies and Procedures are summarized here (https://facstaff.provost.wisc.edu/mentoring-requirements-for-assistant-professors/).
MENTOR OR MENTORING COMMITTEE (“GUIDANCE”)
required, structure varies by department/division
one or more members of department’s executive committee
advice on teaching, research, outreach/service
JLSC: all together with next panel? or separate/filter
Departmental Mentoring, Evaluation, & Review
Provide brief explanatory text about UW-Madison’s commitment to mentoring and support during the tenure process.
Link to information (currently on the Provost’s website) outlining FPP requirements for departmental mentoring (“guidance”) and evaluation (“oversight”).
Link to sample departmental guidelines – tabbed format, by division.
Note: Difficult to outline responsibilities and decision making process at the department level, because contracts and practices differ across departments and schools/colleges.
• Include information about contract decisions. Point to campus resources for faculty who experience difficulties (consult SoF, consult VPFS) and link to appeal process (Faculty Policies & Procedures 7.07-7.13 & Appeal of non-renewal decisions process)
• Include information about departmental tenure decision
• Note tenure dossier is prepared in context of departmental and divisional tenure guidelines.
• Invite faculty to review Sample Dossiers.
– include FPP requirements for mentoring (“guidance”) and evaluation (“oversight”)
– include information about contract renewal (which overlaps with but is distinct from tenure review)
– include info about appeals
– link to sample departmental guidelines by division
– link to sample dossiers (could also be in Divisional Committee review but people access them while in the departmental review & prep stage)