Do you know someone at UW-Madison who has provided excellent mentoring for women, trans, or non-binary faculty at UW-Madison? Please consider nominating her, him or them for a Slesinger Award for Excellence in Mentoring.
Awards are presented annually at the Women, Trans & Non-Binary Faculty Mentoring Program’s annual reception for newly promoted & tenured colleagues.
Slesinger Awards recognize mentoring of women, trans, or non-binary faculty on the tenure track. We welcome nominations from a group of writers or a single writer; however a collective nomination of a mentor who has supported more than one protégé is looked on favorably. The most successful nominations clearly articulate how a mentor’s efforts have had a positive impact in the life and career of the protégé(s) and/or have had a lasting impact on the institution.
Fall 2022 Nominations (Deadline: 10 October)
Please send an e-mail message to Lindsey Stoddard Cameron with the subject header “Slesinger Awards for Excellence in Mentoring.”
In the body of your message, please include:
- The nominee’s name, title, department(s), e-mail address, and telephone number
- The names of any additional writer(s) with whom you are submitting your nomination.
Please attach a single letter of nomination (.pdf, maximum 3 pages) describing how your nominee has excelled as a mentor.
For example, an effective mentor may:
- offer advice about professional issues
- review and give feedback on key projects
- provide information about institutional resources
- introduce a mentee to others in the discipline or related fields
- communicate the “unspoken rules” of university life
- offer guidance on how to balance personal and professional commitments
- help mentees find appropriate and effective ways to raise concerns, address issues, or solve problems
- have a positive, lasting impact on the institution
Thank you for helping us to promote effective mentoring at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.