The Distinguished Teaching Awards Committee invites nominations of faculty members for UW–Madison and UW System distinguished teaching awards. These awards recognize exemplary achievements in teaching.
The UW–Madison faculty distinguished teaching awards are open to any tenure-track or tenured faculty members, regardless of specialty or rank:
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award: excellence in teaching (5 awarded)
- Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Award: achievements in diversity and inclusion (2 awarded)
- Chancellor’s Teaching Innovation Award: innovation in approaches to learning
- Class of 1955 Teaching Excellence Award: assistant or associate professor, significant teaching contributions to undergraduate students
- Excellence in Community-Based Learning Teaching Award: meaningful community engagement in courses designated as community-based learning through the Morgridge Center
- William H. Kiekhofer Teaching Award: College of Letters and Science assistant or associate professor, excellence in teaching
- Emil H. Steiger Teaching Award: junior faculty member, excellence in teaching
- Van Hise Outreach Teaching Award: excellence in outreach teaching
The Distinguished Teaching Awards Committee also participates in selecting the UW–Madison nominations for two UW System regents teaching excellence awards, which recognize outstanding career achievements in teaching at a UW System institution:
- Faculty: must be a previous recipient of a UW–Madison distinguished teaching award
- Department/Program: **note this is new to the call for nominations this year**
To ensure that all nominations receive equal consideration, please adhere to the faculty distinguished teaching award nominating procedures. For the UW–Madison distinguished teaching awards, it is not necessary to nominate a faculty member for a specific award; the Distinguished Teaching Awards Committee will determine which nominations meet each award criteria.
Please submit nominations as a single PDF file to the Office of the Secretary of the Faculty at email@example.com by November 15, 2023. Please note that late and incomplete nominations will not be accepted.