Individual faculty members, departments, and student organizations are invited to submit nominations of faculty members whose teaching is of such quality that it merits recognition and award. The committee encourages the nomination of any exceptional distinguished teacher, regardless of specialty or rank. Twelve outstanding teachers received awards in 2017.
The UW-Madison faculty distinguished teaching awards are:
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Awards (6 are awarded);
- Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Award, which recognizes achievements in diversity and inclusion (2 are awarded);
- Class of 1955 Teaching Excellence Award, which is designated for an instructor, assistant, or associate professor;
- William H. Kiekhofer Teaching Award, the first teaching award presented at the UW, designated for an L&S assistant professor or associate professor;
- Emil Steiger Teaching Award, created in 1958;
- Van Hise Outreach Teaching Award, created to recognize excellence in outreach teaching.