A. MEMBERSHIP. The Athletic Board consists of the following members:
- Twelve faculty members who shall have one vote each and shall be appointed by the University Committee after consultation with and approval of the chancellor.
- Two members of the academic staff, who shall have one vote each and shall be appointed by the Academic Staff Executive Committee after consultation with and approval of the chancellor.
- Two members of the classified staff, who shall have one vote each and shall be appointed by the Classified Staff Executive Committee after consultation with and approval of the chancellor.
- Four alumni each with one vote who shall be appointed by the Wisconsin Alumni Association after consultation with the chancellor and the chair of the Athletic Board.
- Three student memberships with one vote each. Two shall be held by students selected by the organization representing UW-Madison students; one shall be shared by two students elected by the organization representing UW-Madison student athletes. Of the two student athletes, one shall be a member of a women’s team and one a member of a men’s team.
- One non-voting representative of the Division of Recreational Sports.
B. TENURE OF APPOINTMENTS.
- The academic staff, classified staff, and faculty members shall serve four-year terms and may be reappointed for one additional four-year term. Faculty representatives to the NCAA, the Big Ten and Western Collegiate Hockey Association and other faculty members of the Athletic Board performing extraordinary responsibilities may be appointed on an annual basis beyond two four-year terms. The terms of faculty members shall be staggered. A faculty, academic staff, or classified staff member who takes a leave of one year or less during a four-year term may serve out the remainder of his or her term, if any, upon returning to university service. Temporary replacements of faculty members shall be appointed by the University Committee in consultation with and approval of the chancellor. Temporary replacements of the academic staff member shall be appointed by the Academic Staff Executive Committee in consultation with and approval of the chancellor. Temporary replacements of the classified staff member shall be appointed by the Classified Staff Executive Committee in consultation with and approval of the chancellor.
- Alumni members shall serve four-year terms and may not be reappointed. Their appointments shall be staggered.
- Student members shall serve one-year terms and may be reappointed.
C. SELECTION OF THE CHAIR OF THE BOARD AND OF FACULTY REPRESENTATIVES TO INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC ORGANIZATIONS. The chair of the Athletic Board and the university’s faculty representatives to the NCAA, the Big Ten and the Western Collegiate Hockey Association shall be faculty members of the board and shall be selected by the chancellor in consultation with the University Committee.
D. FUNCTIONS. The Athletic Board exercises the authority of the faculty over intercollegiate athletics, subject to the review, direction and control of the Faculty Senate and of the faculty itself. The Athletic Board has the responsibility and authority to take all action appropriate to the supervision of the intercollegiate athletic program, including but not limited to the following:
- Establishes and implements academic and other eligibility standards for recruitment of student athletes.
- Establishes and implements academic standards, such as grade point and class attendance, and other requirements for participation in intercollegiate athletics;
- Oversees the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics’ systems for providing student athletes with academic services, and monitors the academic progress of student athletes;
- Establishes and implements policies on equity and nondiscrimination;
- Reviews and approves schedules for athletic events, including participation in all postseason events;
- Participates actively in the search-and-screen process for head coaches and senior departmental administrators; approves the employment contracts of such persons. The board initiates personnel recommendations, which are subject to the approval of the chancellor and the Board of Regents; if such recommendations are disapproved, the authority to make further recommendations reverts to the Athletic Board;
- Sets criteria to be applied in evaluating the performance of Division of Intercollegiate Athletic staff; reviewing and approving the evaluations of head coaches and senior departmental administrators and approving their contract renewals;
- Approves awards and prizes;
- Sets policy for and approval of uses of Division of Intercollegiate Athletic facilities;
- Participates actively in the development of fiscally responsible departmental budgets and approves them for recommendation to the chancellor;
- Approves prices and policies for tickets for Division of Intercollegiate Athletic events;
- Monitors compliance with all rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big Ten and WCHA; reviews and approves petitions to the NCAA, Big Ten, and WCHA; takes appropriate action on proposed legislation by the NCAA, Big Ten and WCHA; certifies to the NCAA, Big Ten and WCHA compliance with their eligibility requirements.
E. REPORTS TO THE FACULTY SENATE AND THE UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE.
- The board shall report any proposed changes in Athletic Board policies and procedures and any contemplated action that would be an exception to board policies and procedures to the University Committee and the chancellor.
- If a matter has been reported to the University Committee as provided above, and if the University Committee so requests, the board shall postpone action or implementation relating to the matter pending consideration and action by the University Committee and, if the University Committee so decides, by the Faculty Senate.