Do you know someone in our academic community who has provided excellent mentoring for women faculty at UW-Madison? Please consider nominating her, him or them for a Women Faculty Mentoring Program Slesinger Award for Excellence in Mentoring.
Awards are presented annually at the Women Faculty Mentoring Program Reception for Newly Promoted & Tenured Women.
The Women’s Philanthropy Council generously provides for up to two recipients to direct a $2,500 award to a UW-Madison initiative or program.
The focus of this award is mentoring for women on the tenure track. A nomination may be submitted by a group of writers or a single writer. Nominations of mentors who have supported more than one woman faculty member are strongly encouraged. The most successful nominations clearly articulate how a mentor’s efforts have had a positive impact in the life and career of the protégé(s).
Fall 2021 Nominations (Deadline: 10 October)
Please send an e-mail message to Lindsey Stoddard Cameron with the subject header “Slesinger Awards for Excellence in Mentoring.”
The body of your message should include the nominee’s:
- e-mail address
- telephone number
A writer or team of writers should submit a single letter of nomination (.pdf, maximum 3 pages) describing how the nominee has excelled as a mentor.
An effective mentor may:
- offer advice about professional issues
- review and give feedback on key projects
- provide information about institutional resources
- introduce a mentee to others in the discipline or related fields
- communicate the “unspoken rules” of university life
- offer guidance on how to balance personal and professional commitments
- help mentees find appropriate and effective ways to raise concerns, address issues, or solve problems.
Thank you for helping us to promote effective mentoring at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.