We invite individual faculty members, departments, and student organizations to submit nominations of faculty members whose teaching is of such quality that it merits recognition and award. The committee encourages the nomination of any exceptional distinguished teacher, regardless of specialty or rank. Twelve outstanding teachers received awards in 2017. A list of past recipients is found on the Secretary of the Faculty website.
The UW-Madison faculty distinguished teaching awards are:
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Awards (6 are awarded);
- Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Award, which recognizes achievements in diversity and inclusion (2 are awarded);
- Class of 1955 Teaching Excellence Award, which is designated for an instructor, assistant, or associate professor;
- William H. Kiekhofer Teaching Award, the first teaching award presented at the UW, designated for an L&S assistant professor or associate professor;
- Emil Steiger Teaching Award, created in 1958;
- Van Hise Outreach Teaching Award, created to recognize excellence in outreach teaching.
In addition to recommending recipients of UW-Madison faculty distinguished teaching awards, The Teaching Awards Committee also selects nominations of faculty for the UW System Regents Teaching Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding career achievements in teaching at a UW System institution. The call for this award comes out in the spring, but the Teaching Awards Committee selects our campus nominee during our campus fall competition. Faculty who have previously received a UW-Madison distinguished teaching award are eligible for UW System awards, and the committee encourages such nominations. Because the committee strives to recognize as many outstanding teachers as possible, nominations for individuals who have already been recognized with a teaching award must document and demonstrate significant additional accomplishments.
Deadline for nominations: Monday, December 4, 2017
Distinguished Teaching Awards Call for Nominations