TO: Deans, Department Chairs, Faculty Members, Registered Student Organizations
FROM: UW-Madison Teaching Awards Committee
RE: Call for Nominations for UW-Madison Faculty Teaching Awards
We invite individual faculty members, departments, and student organizations to submit nominations of faculty members whose teaching is of such quality that it merits recognition and award. The committee encourages the nomination of any exceptional distinguished teacher, regardless of specialty or rank. Thirteen outstanding teachers received awards in 2020. A list of past recipients is found on the Secretary of the Faculty website.
The UW-Madison faculty distinguished teaching awards are:
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Awards (5 are awarded);
- Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Award, which recognizes achievements in diversity and inclusion (2 are awarded);
- Class of 1955 Teaching Excellence Award, which is designated for an instructor (Assistant or Associate Professor);
- William H. Kiekhofer Teaching Award, the first teaching award presented at the UW, designated for an L&S Assistant Professor or Associate Professor;
- Emil Steiger Teaching Award, created in 1958;
- Van Hise Outreach Teaching Award, created to recognize excellence in outreach teaching;
- Excellence in Community-Based Learning Teaching Award, celebrates the achievements of outstanding instructors (Assistant, Associate or full Professors) who incorporate meaningful community engagement into their courses;
- Chancellor’s Teaching Innovation Award, recognizes innovation in approach to learning
In addition to recommending recipients of UW-Madison faculty distinguished teaching awards, The Teaching Awards Committee also selects nominations of faculty for the UW System Regents Teaching Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding career achievements in teaching at a UW System institution. The call for this award comes out in the fall from University of Wisconsin System Administration, and the UW-Madison Teaching Awards Committee selects our campus nominee during our campus fall competition. Faculty who have previously received a UW-Madison distinguished teaching award are eligible for UW System awards, and the committee encourages such nominations. Because the committee strives to recognize as many outstanding teachers as possible, nominations for individuals who have already been recognized with a teaching award must document and demonstrate significant additional accomplishments.
Departments wishing to submit nominations specifically for the Van Hise Outreach Award or Community-Based Learning Award should check the appropriate box on the nomination title page. Otherwise, it is not necessary for a nominating department to name a specific award for which a faculty member is being nominated; the Teaching Awards Committee will use its discretion to decide which nominations best meet the criteria for each award.
The Teaching Awards Committee requests electronic submission of nominations. In order to ensure that all nominations receive equal consideration, we ask that you adhere to the relevant nominating procedures and include the nomination title page. Nominations for all faculty teaching awards are due by Monday, November 23, 2020 and should be sent as a single PDF file to the Office of the Secretary of the Faculty at firstname.lastname@example.org. The committee cannot accept nominations after that date.
Additional information and detailed nominating procedures and requirements are available on our website.
Direct questions to the Secretary of the Faculty (email@example.com).
Nomination Title Page
2020-21 TEACHING AWARDS COMMITTEE
Andrea Arpaci-Dusseau, Computer Sciences
Cindy Cheng, Asian American Studies
Finn Enke, Gender and Women’s Studies
John Parrish, Animal Science
Daniel Ledin, Student
Madeline Rowe, Student